Saturday, August 28, 2010

The 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Our culture is addicted to celebrity (oh yeah, don't forget the Emmy Awards Sunday night), prestige, power, and attention. It is not a place where humility is cultivated or valued.




Humility will not provide us with the most worldly goods but Jesus Christ does advise us to take the lowest place if we seek Heavenly goals.
.
.

.
How do I maintain a sense of healthy humility?
.
Who helps me keep my head on straight?
.
What do I do to avoid the twin pitfalls of self-aggrandizement or self-deprecation?
.
Can I accept that I am a "good-enough" human being?
.
In our Scripture today, Jesus, our Lord and Savior, describes two ways to go to a banguet. One is to enjoy and participate in the feast. The other is to go grab and secure a place of honor.
.
In the banquet of life:
am I more likely to simply enjoy the feast, or do I get trapped into not enjoying myself until I see who's got the place of honor and learn where I fit in the pecking order?
.
what keeps me from simply being present for the feast of life?
.
One day this week, invite someone into YOUR life to share in God's spacious love and grace.
.
Have a blessed week!
.
.
.

No comments: