Friday, March 11, 2011

Exclusive.............

The Holy Father has granted my request to retire early for health reasons...
by Bishop John Ricard
My dear friends,
Today, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has granted my request to retire early for health reasons. It is my intention at this time to travel to Washington, D.C. and reside at St. Joseph Seminary, the seminary of my former religious community, the Josephites, and plan to assume the role of spiritual director of seminarians which will provide me a less rigorous ministry within the Church. The Diocese needs the strong and able leadership of its Bishop. Because of the illness I experienced over the last year, my capacity to do so has been diminished. The new Bishop will be named and installed, possibly within two to three months and I am confident that you will extend to him the same love and cooperation you have extended to me over the years. I am profoundly grateful for the love, affection and support that you have extended to me over the years. I have loved being your shepherd. It is my sincere prayer that God will bless you and your families. I ask your prayers for me as I face the future. I am confident that God will guide us, you and I, to where he wishes us to be of greatest service to him, the Church and each other.

Sincerely yours in the Lord,
Bishop Ricard

No comments: