Sunday, April 11, 2010

You Are Peter: Part 1

On Easter Sunday the Pensacola News-Journal, in cooperation with the AP, decided to greet the Catholic people of our great city with Easter greetings of church scandal. So be it.

I grew up reading both the morning and evening newspaper for Pensacola. Since those days the two newspapers have become one and it hasn’t changed that much (except that it keeps getting smaller and smaller, in content and size … I wonder why!).

On Thursday morning, the PNJ contained another story about Church scandal written by Troy Moon. I have read Mr. Moon’s writings before and appreciated them and so this time I expected, well, more than I got. Apparently Mr. Moon has become an integral part of the PNJ family (he needs a job, I guess). Interesting that Mr. Moon begins his column with comments by a woman who “was thinking about going to church on Easter” … ha,ha,ha. Really! Then a concluding voice from a lapsed Catholic. Oh, yes, Mr. Moon, start and begin your article with people committed to their Church. To be honest ALL of the others quoted in his column left a lot to be desired. The article was embarrassing, to ME, I mean. (Some poor tree gave up its life for this kind of writing?)

And then Saturday morning another front page article. Do you notice that there is never included in the AP/PNJ stories alternate sites and comments for intellectual understanding and comparison of facts. I believe that the PNJ/AP are convinced that most of their readers do not go beyond the articles they distribute in their tabloid and so they have their readers right where they want them. Congratulations to the President and Publisher of the PNJ (“well done good and faithful servant” – oh, btw, that’s sarcasm).

Ok, here I go. Disgusted as I am with the local print machine, I am beginning a series of alternate articles on the very same subjects. Some of the articles are quite lengthy, many are not. Read or don’t read. But what I post are not biased against the Church and its leadership (and anyone with half a brain knows that the media has been after Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger -now Pope Benedict XVI- for years and years, ever since he accepted the post offered him by Pope John Paul II to Defend the Catholic Faith and its doctrines).

Hold on, my friends, it’s gonna be a bumpy ride: (truths and insights you will not find in the local media)




No comments: