Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Feast of the Holy Family

When Pope Paul VI was still the Archbishop of Milan, he tells of the day he went on Parish visitation. In the course of the visitation he found an elderly woman who was living alone. "How are you?" he asked her. "Not bad,"she answered, " I have enough food and I'm not suffering from the cold." "You must be reasonably happy,then?" he asked. "No, I'm not," she said. "My son and daughter-in-law never come to see me. I'm dying of loneliness."

Afterwards he was haunted by the phrase "I'm dying of lonliness" and he concluded:

"Food and warmth are not enough in themselves. People need something more. They need our presence, our time, our love. They need to be touched, to be reassured that they are not forgotten."


______________________________________

"The fact is, there is no foundation, no secure ground, upon which people may stand today if it isn't the family."

Morrie Schwartz ( in Tuesdays with Morrie)

______________________________________

"Not for nothing was it written:
"Your father and I have been searching for you with great anxiety."

The search for Jesus must be neither careless nor indifferent, nor must it be only a transitory affair. Those who seek in this manner will never find Him."

Origen (183-253)

__________________________________________

Can I think of a specific instance where my family nurtured and shaped my faith?"

Am I excluding any member of my family from my life at this time?

Who?

Because ......

_______________________________________

No comments: