Sunday, September 6, 2009

23rd Sunday


"Be Opened": many years ago when I celebrated Mass in "SIGN" it was difficult to see those three young children/teenagers in front of me. I suppose I just wanted them to be able to hear what I hear and what everyone else hears.
I saw, though, that their lack of hearing did not prevent them from communicating, nor from having a 'normal' family life, nor from praying, nor from knowing Christ.
Their 'lack' though gave many of us a challenge we would not have undertaken otherwise: learning Sign. We held Sign classes in the Parish each week and the Sunday following each class larger and larger groups of people would participate in the responses not only with their speech but also in Sign. It was a blessing to see.
"Be Opened": I think we helped a great deal. The miracle, though, was us.
We Opened.